Raymond William "Ray" Cordts was a longtime director on Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative's board of directors and a steward of the community. Ray began his banking career in 1969 and most recently served as a Senior Vice President of Lakeland Bank. Ray was known affectionately as "Mr. Sussex County" and served as a leader in community involvement and a champion of numerous worthy causes. He served as president of the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce in 1993, served as a past chairman and trustee of the SCARC Foundation, and served as a trustee of the Newton Medical Center Foundation. For Ray it was never about the individual recogntiion, but rather making his community a better place.
Ray sadly passed away in March of 2022. In his honor, Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative has created the Ray Cordts Community Champion Award.
This award is designed to recognize the accomplishments of young people who are working for the benefit of their community. Each year, two students will be chosen to be presented with an award in the amount of $500. In addition to this, each recipient will get to choose a local organization to receive a $500 donation in their name. To apply, complete the application form below by March 7, 2023.
Ray Cordts Community Champion Award
- Celebrates people who work to make our community or their school a better place
- Offers up to two $500.00 awards with an additional donation of $500.00 in the student's name to an organization of their choice
- Applicants must currently be high school seniors who are involved in their community, volunteer for local charities, or work for the greater good of their town or county
- Must provide information on organization(s), club(s), and/or event(s) applicant has volunteered for in the past
- At least one letter of recommendation from individual affiliated with an organization the students contributes to must be included with application
- Applications are due by Tuesday, March 7th, 2023