NOTE: In its current form, our service application cannot be filled out on mobile devices. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you would like to download the form and submit it by mail, email, or by dropping it off at our office, you can find it here.
Welcome to the Cooperative!
If you are familiar with Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative or with electric cooperatives in general, you already know what it means to be a Member. If you are not, read on and we will tell you a little about what makes us different. At Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative we focus on delivering the highest quality power at the best possible rate and take pride in our ability to work directly with our Members. The personal touch is still in vogue with your cooperative.
Each cooperative is founded upon seven principles (seen below) and this is where we clearly demonstrate the difference between our business model and that of an investor owned company. Unlike stock based companies where the largest voting block of stock wields the most power, in a cooperative every Member has equal influence.
What does this mean to you? Personal attention to your needs and a commitment to operate the business in a manner that puts the reliability, quality, and safety of your electric service before all else. Welcome!
How to Apply for Service
Please note that your property must be located within our service area to receive service from the Cooperative. We also do not participate in the retail choice program of the State of NJ.
Currently, you may obtain an application for electric service one of four ways:
- You may apply online here
- You can come to Sussex REC's office
- You may call our office at 973-875-5101 and request to receive an application by mail
- You may download an application here
Upon completion of the form, you can bring it by the office or mail it to us. If you submit your application by mail, you must return the application with all of your deposit (see below for details on waiver of the deposit) and membership fees before your service can be connected. A signed Right-of-Way may also be required.
It is an unfortunate fact that identity theft and similar crimes are on the rise. In an effort to protect everyone involved, we may also request a photo ID as part of the application process.
You will be required to pay a $5 membership fee which is refunded at such time as you leave the Sussex REC system. Please NOTE: Should you for any reason change the name on your account, you will be required, as part of our Capital Credit program, to open another account and pay the $5 membership fee. Names follow specific membership numbers. Your original $5 will be refunded to you under the first account.
A security deposit, based on the type of service requested, may also be required. We determine the need for a deposit using an external service. This service is a nationwide, utility-oriented company that advises us regarding the need for a deposit. They base their recommendations on data available from financial and other institutions.
Deposits for commercial accounts are dependent upon the type (class) of service and estimated usage.
Security deposits on residential accounts will be applied to the account upon receipt of a written request and after twelve (12) months of prompt payment on the total monthly bill. Please note that should a deposit be re-imposed due to payment issues, it will remain in place for twelve (12) months. After this period, it will be treated in the same manner as the initial deposit. Deposits reinstated for such reasons will be two times the average monthly bill.
TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP AND ELECTRIC SERVICE
1. Applicant represents and warrants that they are the owner of the property, or are a tenant at the property for which service is requested under a lease or other agreement with the property owner. In the event that the Applicant is neither an owner or tenant, service will not be provided.
2. Any person or business (hereinafter called the applicant) applying for membership in Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative (hereinafter called the "Cooperative") agrees to pay the sum of $5.00 for membership, for which a membership certificate will be issued to the applicant.
3. Applicant further agrees to place on a deposit a sum to guarantee payment for electric energy used if such a deposit is determined to be required; such deposit to be determined according to the Cooperative's then current deposit polict, a copy of which will be made available to the applicant upon request.
4. When the Cooperative makes electric energy available, the applicant agrees to purchase from the Cooperative and pay monthly to the Cooperative for all electric energy used on the premises described below in accordance with the applicable service classification and rules and regulations as may be established from time to time by the Cooperative.
5. Applicant agrees that applicant's premises shall be wired in accordance with the National Electric Code, as established by the National Board of Fire Underwriters. Applicant hereby releases the Cooperative from any and all liability of every kind and nature for damage which may occur form defective wiring of said premises and hereby agrees to hold the Cooperative harmless from any and all such liability.
6. Applicant agrees to grant and secure the necessary easements and right-of-way to provide service to applicant's property free of charge. Applicant hereby further agrees that the Cooperative shall have access to the premises as necessary for meter reading and installation, replacement, repair and maintenance of such facilities of the Cooperative on the applicant's premises as are necessary or appropriate in the Cooperative's judgment to the provision of safe, adequate and proper service. Applicant further agrees to the continued presence on the premises served of those facilities of the Cooperative now in place including, but not limited to, meters, wiring, load management devices and related equipment as well as the replacement and repair thereof. Applicant hereby accepts all obligations and rights with respect to the presence, maintenance, installation, replacement and repair of the facilities of the Cooperative now in place at the premises which accrue to the Cooperative by virtue of agreements and understandings made with previous owners or occupants of the premises served.
7. Applicant will comply with and be bound by the provisions of the bylaws and rules and regulations of the Cooperative now in force or as may be adopted from time to time. Applicant agrees that Capital Credits accrued on the applicant's behalf, when retired, may be applied to outstanding indebtedness owned by the applicant or to establish or augment applicant's security deposits. Applicant hereby irrevocably waives any relevant statute of limitations as a defense to any claim made by the Cooperative, by way of setoff of Capital Credits for any amounts which become due, or which are claimed to have become due to the Cooperative from that member during his or her membership. Such waiver shall continue in effect notwithstanding any subsequent termination of membership.
8. If the property for which service is being provided is or becomes a rental property, the account will automatically revert to the property owner upon tenant vacating the property.
9. Applicant agrees to provide two days' notice prior to vacating any property served by the Cooperative. Such notice may be either verbal or written. Until such notice is given, the applicant acknowledges and agrees that they are responsible for all electric usage.